Thursday, October 12, 2006

The dotting process ....


Here's a glimpse of the process, at least for making slipper templates. This is for a Straits Chinese man's wedding procession slipper. The beads are cut beads (Malay colloquial potong manek) and size 16/0s. The sizes are standard, just outline the shoe on graph paper. I created the design from a museum booklet from the NY Met Museum for a 1983 Chinese robe exhibition that my parents went long time ago and brought back. It is a lishui border, or standing water border, which I photocopied, cut and paste onto the shoe design. Then I drew the outline of the waves, bats etc onto the shoe and dotted the squares to fill in the colors. It's rather simple. Here's one of the slipper sides plus a picture of the lishui border from the museum booklet. :) It's really fun. I'll talk about the beads on another post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home